The guys catch up for some drinks to discuss their games, with Kaner sharing his Diplomacy theory of crab shells and faultlines. Plus the Middle Earth variant.
Intro & Around the grounds
- The guys kickoff and Kaner outlines why he dislikes playing England (0 mins 10 secs)
- They discuss the venue and their drinks (3 mins 50 secs)
- They talk about the lockdown that never happened and a general Australian COVID update (6 mins 15 secs)
- Amby discusses an Australian MP who has wild theories about COVID. Amby shows his website domain that didn't get reregistered (8 mins 30 secs)
- Kaner shares a joke or two with Amby and chats about measuring systems (11 mins 30 secs)
- They grab some more drinks and Amby looks into abandoned games (17 mins 30 secs)
- Kaner wants to out Amby and himself when in anonymous games (23 mins)
- Kaner asks Amby about fleet builds on rivers in Divided States games & ideas for better gameplay (25 mins 45 secs)
- Amby talks about his Spice Islands game and rulebook press (32 mins 45 secs)
- He goes onto discuss his cloak and dagger game, Screaming Jugular Bloodaxe Gusher (36 mins)
- Kaner gives some advice around looking at why an ally made a certain set of moves (39 mins)
- They get into some of Kaner's anonymous Europa Renovatio games (40 mins 30 secs)
- Kaner talks about the gameplay of a player he's stabbed, only for them to double down fighting their original enemy and let Kaner get up to mischief (43 mins 45 secs)
- Amby pivots to talk about his classic game on Primacy where he was trying spitefully to create a stalemate line to force the draw as his goal (47 mins)
- After some more drinks, they discuss gameplay in another one of Kaner's games (52 mins 15 secs)
- Kaner shares his theory about Diplomacy faultlines, which act as a wedge into a region and how you approach your position as a crab shell (55 mins 30 secs)
- He then goes onto discuss a "boring game" and his current crab shell (1 hr 1 mins 15 secs)
- Amby discusses two Primacy games, Legends of Ferranor where he won (pretty much as everyone CDed) but has started playing a Middle Earth variant, inspired by JRR Tolkien (1 hr 9 mins)
- They discuss skills they learnt at 12 years of age and why Amby has never seen a Lord of the Rings film (1 hr 12 mins)
Venues: Hellcat Maggie, Brisbane
Drinks of choice:
Kaner: Fixation IPA
Amby: St Hallett's Garden of Eden from South Australia
Just a reminder you can support the show by giving it 5 stars on iTunes or Stitcher. And don't forget if you want to help improve the audio equipment... or get the guys more drunk, you can also donate at Patreon, plus you get extra podcast episodes!
Lastly, don't forget to subscribe so you get the latest Diplomacy Games episodes straight to your phone.
Thanks as always to Dr Dan aka "The General" for his rockin' intro tune.