Kaner takes on Brother Bored in a live France vs Austria game and learns a few lessons. Amby is also "learning lessons" in his Media Wars 2 game.
Intro and Diplomacy news
- The guys discuss the venue, drinks and set the scene for today's episode (0 mins 10 secs)
- Kaner discusses the Summer Classic virtual tournament being held 23-25 July (2 mins 35 secs)
- They discuss work and life commitments have been getting in the way of their Diplomacy interests (5 mins 20 secs)
Kaner vs Brother Bored live game: France vs Austria
- Amby sets the scene in the Kaner vs Brother Bored game of France vs Austria. Brother Bored also has the game on his Youtube channel (6 mins 30 secs)
- They discuss the Spring 1901 openings (8 mins 15 secs)
- Amby goes through the Fall 1901 orders (11 mins)
- Brother Bored gives a fun fact about Trieste (11 mins 30 secs)
- Next up is the builds (12 mins 15 secs)
- Spring 1902 moves are then discussed (14 mins 30 secs)
- Brother Bored explains some of his thinking as they enter Fall 1902 moves (16 mins 20 secs)
- After builds they start on their spring 1903 moves (18 mins 20 secs)
- After reviewing spring 1903 moves they move on. Amby gives his thoughts on the likely outcome (21 mins 20 secs)
- They discuss the fall 1903 outcome. Brother Bored gives his views on Kaner's moves. The guys then do builds and prepare their spring 1904 moves (25 mins 30 secs)
- The orders are in for spring 1904. The guys dissect it all before clicking away for fall 1904 moves (31 mins 30 secs)
- The fall outcome is in! After builds and discussion they start preparing for spring 1905 (36 mins 15 secs)
- Spring 1905 blossoms throughout Brother Bored's side of the board with all those vacant neutrals. They dissect where the game is at and start clicking away for fall 1905's moves. Brother Bored gives some perspectives on playing as Austria compared to France (42 mins 30 secs)
- The game is done with Brother Bored proudly at the winner's podium! They discuss creating content in this format. They talk about doing this again in the future and decide on the highly balanced 843: Treaty of Verdun variant (48 mins)
- Kaner and Amby are back and discuss their thoughts on the game with Brother Bored. Don't forget you can also watch this in Brother Bored's Youtube channel (56 mins 40 secs)
- After discussing Treaty of Verdun again, they discuss deliberately balanced variants and find their not as balanced as you think (1 hr 2 min 45 secs)
Media Wars 2
- Kaner asks Amby how his Media Wars 2 game is going. The game is up to spring 1908 with only England (Floridaman) eliminated (1 hr 5 mins 30 secs)
- Amby gives an update on what's been happening with hat tips to Oliver Lugg and Ed Sullivan (GoHornsGo) (1 hr 6 mins 50 secs)
Venues: Empire Hotel, Brisbane
Drinks of choice:
Kaner: Mahogany American Brown Ale by Brendale Brewing Company
Amby: High Country Hops Hazy Harvest Fresh Hop IPA
Just a reminder you can support the show by giving it 5 stars on iTunes or Stitcher. And don't forget if you want to help improve the audio equipment... or get the guys more drunk, you can also donate at Patreon, plus you get extra podcast episodes!
Lastly, don't forget to subscribe so you get the latest Diplomacy Games episodes straight to your phone.
Thanks as always to Dr Dan aka "The General" for his rockin' intro tune.
- The guys start wrapping up the show with a bit of a tease about the next episode (1 hr 15 mins)